All the things Total Rendition currently lacks
It has been said that a designer knows when he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. So, perhaps, I should be talking, not about what currently available Total Rendition versions already have or new features future versions are going to have. Much rather, I should be talking in terms of features that are supposed to be present in the gold-status version of Total Rendition that you may already pre-order. Thus, Total Rendition will be perfect, when it is the lack of these things that are taken away:
Features that are missing from Total Rendition!
Note: I have to be deliberately vague in these areas, lest I’ll spoil the story!
- A faithful re-creation of (certain parts of) Noordwijk-aan-Zee in Unreal Engine 4
- A main-questline that lasts for more than a day
- A large arsenal of weapons, gadgets and utility items
- Last yet not least: A large cast of characters who with voice overs!
Gameplay mechanics that are missing!
Being necessary to render the story of Total Rendition in an immersive fashion and making you able to identify with Tzipora Herzog, these currently have the highest priority. AI will remain work-in-progress throughout the development cycle, however.
Medical items & skills(Implemented since 1.9.8) Stealth mechanics & skills(Implemented since 1.9.5) A proper, tile-based inventory system(Implemented since 2.0.7) Item removal from inventory, looting individual items(Implemented since 2.1.0) Phone messages(Implemented since 2.1.7) Damage attributes and skills(Implemented since 2.2.0) Fortify and Drain attributes and skills(Implemented since 2.4.0) Upgrading player attributes(Implemented since 2.4.0)
- Better fleshed-out Hand-to-Hand (Expected by 3.2.2)
- Drag-able non-inventory items (Expected by 3.2.2)
- Throw-able non-inventory items (Expected by 3.2.2)
- Grenade mechanics (Expected by 3.2.2)
- Arcana sequences (Expected by 4.1.8)
- Level transitions (Partial implementation since 1.1.1, fully finished by 4.1.8)
- A smarter AI
UI/UX features that are missing!
Apart from polishing, which is to occur between 0.1.2.7 and 184.108.40.206 (large scale release), coinciding with the majority of assets-building.
Graphics options(completed since Total Rendition 0.1.3.3) Keyboard rebindings Audio options(completed since 0.1.8.0) Main menu(Since 2.1.0, Esc brings you to the main menu; TR doesn’t start from the main menu yet)
- Map UI (Expected by 0.4.1.8)
- Save games (Expected by 0.4.1.8)
- Localisation Options
- Overall polish (player character animations, a more deliberately designed UI aesthetic, improved player-world interaction)
The gold status version that you may pre-order already from Itch.io will lack none of these things!
In order to make Total Rendition perfect, the lack of these things will need to be taken away!